St. Paul Catholic School, a member of the schools of the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston, has served the Catholic and general population of Weirton since 1924. The school was established from a need for the immigrant population of a growing industrial area. As the northern West Virginia town of Weirton grew into city status, the educational needs for the Catholic population increased as well.
The current building was completed in 1962 and was designed with great foresight. The u-shaped design is perfect for departmentalization and pre-school separation. Even though the school is located in the downtown area, it is recessed behind the church and is safe and aesthetically isolated from downtown traffic and distractions. Over the years, the building and furniture have undergone an extensive revitalization project. Security doors with cameras were installed in 2014 and our HVAC system project was completed in 2016. In 2018 each classroom door was fitted with a Nightlock Lockdown security device; the existing security camera system was upgraded, and five (5) new cameras were installed to increase security. Security measures were again upgraded in 2020.
Currently, St. Paul Catholic School has 32 faculty and staff members available for almost 200 students in preschool through eighth-grade. The preschool, kindergarten, and first through fourth are in self-contained taught classrooms while fifth through eighth grades change classes and enjoy the middle school setting that we provide. St. Paul Catholic School offers a well-rounded program always striving for academic excellence while adding extracurricular activities in a safe and secure Christian atmosphere.
- Grades Kindergarten through eighth: 100 students
- 3 & 4-year-old Preschool: 29 students
- We have students From Wellsburg, Follansbee, Weirton, New Cumberland, and Chester West Virginia. We also have students from Pennsylvania and Ohio.
- Academic Excellence
- Value-Centered Curriculum
- High School accredited Algebra and Spanish
- Athletic programs for middles school students
- Safe and secure environment
- Close proximity to Weirton Police and Fire Department
- Transportation through Weirton Transit for Hancock & Brooke County residents
- Hancock County and Burgettstown School District buses available
- Preparation for sacraments
- Up-to-date technology
- One-to-one Chromebooks for grades 1-8
- Fine Arts and Music Programs
- Accelerated Reader: Star Reading
- WV State approved Hot Lunch Program
- Full-time on-site Health Center
- Registered Nurse
- School counselor
- Before/After Care: beginning at 6:45 am ending at 5:30 pm